Re: What do you mean - power? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 95 11:58:12 EST
From: Kenneth R. de Camargo, Jr. <KENNETH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: What do you mean - power?

On Sun, 05 Feb 95 11:38:37 CST Walt Stein said:
(stuff deleted)
>I've asked this question several times before, in other
>circumstances. Isn't our current discussion of power, emanating
>from a post dealing with McKinnon, slipping into the
>bad(power)-good(freedom from power)/they (wielders of
>powers)-we(unwilling, coerced, recipients of power) "repressive
>hypothesis"? Don't these binaries allow us the illusion of escape
>from our inescapable involvement and implication in the
>power-knowledge economy.
>
>Yours,
>Walt

Ditto! I'd like to point out also that "pouvoir" in French refers not only to
a noun (power) but also a verb (being able to do something). This may lead to
some confusion, I guess.

As I said before, these moral conotations wheren't present in F's work, as far
as I can tell.

Yours,
Ken

Kenneth Rochel de Camargo, Jr. MD PhD
Technical Coordinator - UnATI (Old Age Open University)
Research Associate - Instituto de Medicina Social
UERJ (Rio de Janeiro State U.) - Brazil
Bitnet: kenneth at bruerj.bitnet
Internet: kenneth at vmesa.uerj.br