Re: "local" vs "universal"

Erick Heroux wrote:

> Foucault did not like the terms of postmodernism, yet he now
>appears to be pretty solidly within their strategy.

I think that Foucault's conception of modernity includes the concept of
postmodern. For example in his "What is Enlightenment" he says that
Enlightenment (= modernity from his point of view) is "the moment when
humanity is going to put its own reason to use, without subjecting itself
to any authority [...]."

I understand this that we can't rely ourselves on any universalizing
metanarratives. Modernity is for Foucault an attitude, an ethos, that
implies "permanent critique of ourselves" "as difference in history". This
means that the only thing we have, is our local knowledges.

Timo Siivonen
University of Jyvaskyla
Finland
tsiivone@xxxxxxxxxxxx