Freud & Foucault (was: post-isms)

>no no no
>
>freud was not a closet post-structuralist.
>
>he drove the oedipus titanic right out in the open. even up onto many dry
>grounds.

I think I'll leave that one alone, but expand just a little on what I meant
by the Freud remark. I'd like this to lead eventually to a consideration of
Foucault's intellectual relationship to Freud.
And From my readings of Freud, and also of Laplanche, my sense is that Freud
continued to believe in the classical unified subjectivity that some people
have been calling a hallmark of modernism, while at the same time his own
theories were relentlessly breaking this subjectivity apart. Some of the
contradictions of Freudian meta-psychology (id/ego/super-ego, ucs/pcs/cs,
the hydraulic model of drives) come from this more fundamental "disavowal"
on Freud's part. He knew, or suspected, what the implications were, but
just the same...His continued belief in the objectivity of science, and
that psychoanalysis was a branch of science, were similar: his own theory
helped to undermine the knowledge claims of the kind of science he
nonetheless always wanted psychoanalysis to be. So in some slightly hidden
ways he was a pioneering post-<something>ist.

Now Foucault never talks about Freud this way, at least not that I recall.
But I haven't ever read Foucault specifically from that perspective. Has
anyone looked more closely at this relationship? I would be very interested
to read what other people think of this.

rs/rshapiro@xxxxxxx