Re: Foucault on power

A quick response (or perhaps a question) to John Ransom--

Does it make sense to say on the one hand that there is no capital-P
"Power", but only specific, situated power-relations, and on the other to
say that in all Foucault's works, which involve the unravelling of the
workings of power in those situations, power is always the same thing?
Under certain circumstances I can see the value of asserting this--when one
is faced with a state mechanism that has stacked the means for manoeuvering
within a particular relationship entirely in its favour (a comparatively
rare situation)--but generally, I think this is somewhat misleading.

Interested in your response--

Shane

Shane Wilcox
Department of English