Re: fish out of water

I don't mean to pick a fight, but I don't understand the criticism (below)
of Foucault's analysis of Marx. Foucault's point is that Marx's notion of
revolution is based on two necessarily coordinate concepts: anthropology and
a theory of historical materialism. The very fact that Marx could speak of
the historical inevitability of revolution and the concomitant liberation of
human being to its proper nature indicates that revolution does not
represent for Marx (and I think Marx would agree) and real discontinuity.
The nineteenth-century episteme is one of progression, continuity underlying
all differences and ruptures; hence the continuity thought in historical
mateialism is the water in which Marxist/anthropological fish swim. It is
this priveleging of continuity over rupture that Foucault is arguing
against, a priveledge that he claims, for the most part correctly, persists
'today.'
rsl