Re: ethics and poststructuralism

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Gregory A. Coolidge wrote:

> the source, at least potentially, of auotnmous actions. Foucault is left in
> his latest writings with a call for autonomy and self-determination (remnants
> of humanism's dream of autuonmnous human life), without any theoretical
> subject in which to ground such a hope. Foucault, is thus, left with a
> humanist project of securing autonomy and self-determination (that most human of attributes), grounded in a theory of the subject which denies that autonomy is a possibility,since such a subject is devoid of that essential human
> something that secures, at least potentially, its auotonmy.

I thought this was a very helful summary. Do others think that the fact
that unlike humanism of, say a Hegelian tradition, autonomy wasn't for
him a matter of being the same as oneself, but is a matter of movement,
of becoming other and ungrounded--do others think this is a valid
response on Foucault's part? Human life as a vector and a velocity?

Erik

Erik D. Lindberg
Dept. of English and Comparative Lit.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee