Re: Foucault's Sloppiness (Was: your mail: Subject & Power.)

Malcolm Dunnachie Thompson wrote:

> I'm not saying that Eurocentrism and racism are necessarily equivalent
> terms. But to postulate as universal a phenomenon as "the human
> condition" as the (or even an) object in Foucault, when, after all, he
> only ever really talked about Europe, is to perform quite a dazzling
> erasure. The complex cultural dynamics that Foucault investigated do *not* apply to > everyone everywhere - they only apply to specific
people.

But, as it has been pointed out in another, recent posting,
Foucault admitted that his historical studies were constructed after the
fact of his political philosophy. In light of this, the relevance of
Foucault to the condition of people in the West or even France is
questionable.

Since his thought hinges so loosely on the actual past, who
cares what he says in his "historical studies?" If the past according
to Michel Foucault exists in this world at all, it is only as the
literature of a corpse.

Nicholas Dronen
Carpe Sturgeon.
http://w3.servint.com/cognigen/f/fci.cgi?dr2864423

  • Re: Foucault's Sloppiness (Was: your mail: Subject & Power.)
    • From: Malcolm Dunnachie Thompson