Foucault and truth.

Robert,

My apologies.

It comes from: Michel Foucault, 'Le souci de la verite (interview with
Francois Ewald), in Magazine Litteraire, no. 207, May 1984, p.18

Sorry i don't have an English source. (and I couldn't figure out how to get
the correct accents on, verite.)

Foucault elaborates in this interview a bit more of his reformulated notion
of truth arguing, "Nothing is more inconsistent than a political regime that
is indifferent to truth; but nothing is more dangerous than a political
system which claims to prescribe truth.....The task of speaking the truth is
an infinite labour: to respect it in its complexity is an obligation which
no power can pass over, except by imposing the silence of servitude." (Ibid,
p.23)

"What I try to achieve is the history of the relations which
thought maintains with truth; the history of thought insofar as it is the
thought of truth. All those who say truth does not exist for me are
simple minded."
> (Foucault)

Colin Wight
Department of International Politics