Re: wealth

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Malcolm Dunnachie Thompson wrote:

> Wealth is created by the extraction of surplus value (exploitation). Marx
> is absolutely right on this point. And I see no contradiction between
> this claim and anything Foucault says. The "rate" or "intensity" of
> exploitation may fluctuate, but insofar as the capitalist acquires a
> profit, the worker is exploited (i.e. she has created more value with her
> labour than she has received in wages). Now, of course, this does not
> encompass or even define the field of power relations, but this does not
> make it any less the case.
>
> malcolm

Hold on, do you actually consider the labour theory of value to be
correct? That products' exchange value (i.e. price) is determined by
labour-time? I find this very dubious and so do most economists and I
think most serious Marxists. But if you can give me a good reason, I'd
be interested.
Dave Hugh-Jones
A Rush and a Push and the Land is ours
dash2@xxxxxxxxx