_History of Sexuality_ Vol. 1-3 & Racism

So-- anybody want to talk about what can be said of reprentations of "race"
in sexually explicit materials (i.e. "pornography", "erotica", whatever you
want to call it) in light of Foucault's insights in the introduction ("We
Other Victorians") of _The History of Sexuality, Vol I_? I'm thinking here
not just of porn, but also 20th century eugenics tracts, the Scottsboro
trial ( a trial in which several African-American men were accused of raping
(1 or 2, I'm not sure) white women, and the mainstream American film _The
Bodyguard_. I realize that this is a *huge* question, but maybe that's a
good thing. Someone want to narrow it down? Suggest related topics? Etc etc?
What about a genreal discusssion of the absence of "race" (whatever that is)
in the writings of Foucault and other French (read: former colonial power)
theorists? Someone? Anyone?

Yours in hope tinged with desperation,

chloe

"The women who hate me cut me
as men can't Men don't count.
I can handle men. Never expected better
of any man anyway.
But the women,
shallow-cheeked young girls the world was made for
safe little girls who think nothing of bravado
who never got over by playing it tough" Dorothy Allison

  • Re: _History of Sexuality_ Vol. 1-3 & Racism
    • From: Chi Park