Re: What??? or: Foucault is a Kantian

Discussion on this list has to be provoked. There is a simple
technique. You begin with a controversial claim, like "Foucault is a
Marxist," or "Foucault is a conservative," or "Foucault is a liberal."
Then you supply an argument, or a quotation, to justify your claim.
And then you encourage people who disagree to try to convince you that
you are mistaken.

Speaking of controversial interpretations of Foucault: I think
Foucault is so far from being a "post-modernist" that he has much more
in common with Immanuel Kant than he does with, say, Lyotard or
Derrida (not that I would admit that Derrida is a postmodernist).

I don't have time to justify this, but perhaps those who have read
Foucault's "What is Enlightenment?," or, say, Ian Hacking's
"Self-improvement" (in FOUCAULT: A CRITICAL READER), can anticipate
the sort of justification I would give.

I'm really curious: what is it about Foucault that makes him something
other than a characteristically "modern" thinker?

Steve

> Hey all you people......
> I have not been recieving anything from this listing for a very long time...
> either something is wrong with my reception (if thats possible), or you
> people out there must be very busy....and have noooooooooo time for
> Mr. Foucault, which, also, i find impossible.....
> So if theres anyone out there, still interested in discussion, please
> Distressed,
> Omar Nasim

Folow-ups
  • Re: What??? or: Foucault is a Kantian