Dominique's administrative toolbox

From: rnlb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robyn Lui-Bright)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:38:37 +1100
Subject: Re: Using Foucault

On 11.1.97 dominique Franche wrote:

>I am one of the administrators of the Centre
>Michel Foucault in Paris, and I must confess that I am sometime quite fed
>up with all these interpretations around Foucault's work. What we are
>trying to do in the Centre MF is precisely to use Foucault, and not to
>comment upon his work.

>Using Foucault "as a toolbox", as he has put it, seems to me the most
>interesting way of dealing with his work.

>I have used Foucault when
>trying to explain the 1994 genocide in Rwanda (in an article called
>"Genealogie du genocide rwandais", published in Les Temps Modernes,
>mai-juin 1995, and in a small book to be published next february)

* * *

Above is the most comical statement I ever encountered on this list
unless, of course, the author's is an intentional parody. Obviously, as
"an administrator of the center", Dominique is "fed up" with "all these
interpretations around Foucault" other than that of her/his own!!! Dear
Dominique, next time you pull out the foucaultian "toolbox" to make
hermeneutic repairs on the reality, no need to "understand" the faraway
lands and their inhabitants!!! Instead, focus on the
immediate--administrative "yourself". And good luck with your
advertising campaign; as long as the book remains "little", it's
perfectly ok with me. Sincerely, Alexei Deshevoi