Re: foucault, power and authenticity

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 Solipsist9@xxxxxxx wrote:

> i don't think i'd say power can be positive for foucault. power just is. its
> effects can be positive or negative when viewed subjectively, but power
> itself is neutral ( in theory anyway).

I don't think foucault felt that power was neutral... In specific cases
power can operate positively or negatively. Not polarly but along
different patterns of influence and pressure. "power is" as you said but
it just being doesn't make it into a neutral relation (theoretically or
otherwise)... Just some of my impressions of foucauldian power
relations-