Foucault for beginners

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Ming the Merciless wrote:

i'd say "beginner's
> questions" would be a great thing for all of us to hear and think about
> at this point . . . :>

well, since you put it that way.... I am writing a critique of a
series of articles on identity politics. One author dismisses Foucault
(and feminist postmodern theory) on the grounds that Foucault does not
allow the subject to exist as a locus of agency. In terms of my
knowledge, I do not have a Foucauldian leg to stand on to argue this
position, but intuitively (from list discussions I have read and
enjoyed), I think this author is wrong. Can anyone help? Replying
off-list is fine if you have the time, energy and inclination. Thanks in
advance.

Sharon M.
Grad Student, Politics Dept.
York University