miller and macey

> >From: smh@xxxxxxxxxx (Sean Hill)
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:02:27 -0700
> Subject: Re: Foucault for beginners
>
> >I noticed that none of the suggested Foucault primers include James
> >Miller's book. What do the connoisseurs make of it?
> >
> >Doug
>
> The book is ok, I guess. I didn't care for it as much as Eribon's earlier
> one. Miller seems more interested in using Foucault's life as a narrative
> for the ultimate "limit experience" rather than give us a glimpse into the
> life of this 20th cent. intellectual. I enjoyed it in any case. Eribon's
> book is more detailed as to events and particulars. I haven't read Dave
> Macey's book. Can anyone tell me if its worth the read?

macey's book is superior to miller's and perhaps even to eribon's (which i
haven't read). miller's book is not without some merit, but his troping
of the limit-experience (as well as the labyrinth, the secret -- from the
book on roussel -- et al.) overdetermine the book and cloud his judgment.
macey's research is pretty exhaustive and the list of people he consulted
(see the acknowledgments) is quite impressive -- he had access to more
information than eribon i think.

tom
tmorange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx