Re: liberalism

> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:19:54 -0500
> To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: liberalism

> Can anyone elighten me on F's late interest in Hayek, von Mises, and 19t=
> century liberalism?
>
> Doug

I hope I can - at least a bit. Neo-liberal thinking was the object of
the course of 1979 at the college de France and the end of his
history of governmentality. Foucault took neo-liberalism as the most
important political rationality that governs our live today. He
wanted to show the power effects in the way we construct ourselves as
"free" subjects in a "free" state. The most important effect of
(neo-)liberalism for Foucault was the link it offers between the
subject and the state, the private and the public, it constitues at
the same time the ground for the state and an implicit critique for
its actions. In short, he wanted to show the power effects of this
very particular kind of freedom, which exposes itself as natural.
In my interpretation this interest in (modern) governmentality is
also the link between Foucaults works of the 70s and his interest in
subjectivity in the 80s. As for literature there is only a few (the
best is to have a look an the course summery in R=E9sum=E9 des cours);
apart from that you have to listen to the cassettes in the centre
Foucault or wait for the publication of the courses which began this
month with the course of 1976.
I listened to the cassettes and made a summary and interpretion of
this aspect of Foucaults work in my dissertation (will be pusblished
this autumn).

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Lemke