Re: Hegel & Foucault

I think it's valuable to compare F's approach to transgression with
Hegel's. In the _Introduction to the Philosophy of History_ Hegel writes,

It is the passions, the aims of particular interests, the satisfaction of
selfish desire that are the most forceful things. They get their power
>from the fact that they observe none of the limits which the law and
morality would seek to impose upon them--and from the fact that these
forces of nature are closer and more immediate to human beings than the
artificial and tedious discipline toward order and moderation, toward law
and morality. (Hegel, _Intro to the Philosophy of History_, trans. Leo
Rausch; Hackett, 1988, p. 23.)

Clearly both Hegel and Foucault are concerned about limits and what the
significance of a transgression can be. Hegel seems to be suggesting
that transgressions should be assessed relative to their capacity to
draw Spirit into new, deeper, and horizon-shattering advances in
self-consciousness. Put simply, when Napoleon is wandering around Europe
passing out democratic constitutions to everyone and giving the idea of
the French Revolution such incredible press, you do not stop (him) to ask
about the body count.

[snip]

-John

GLO> Did anyone stop to ask the french kings and aristocracy about
"the body count"? Does Foucault? Hm... -Glo

Folow-ups
  • Re: Hegel & Foucault
    • From: Dan Schubert