transgression and birth of tragedy

If Nietzsche's line about aesthetics is as important as the "Preface to
transgression" essay seems to imply it is, we might want to look at it
more closely.

In the English translation by Kaufmann, N writes that "art represents
highest task and truly metaphysical activity of this life" (_Birth_,
"Preface to Wagner," p. 32).

Later on, he claims that "it is only as an aesthetic phenomenon that
existence and the world are justified" (_Birth_, Section 5, p. 52).

Perhaps this thought of N's not as easy to follow as first appears. Take
the second quote. Is N saying that existence and the world are only really
good when they are aesthetic phenomena?

Or, if we put the stress on "justified," does he mean that we only get to
the point of accepting the world, of considering it justified, when it is
tarted up as an aesthetic phenomenon? Those are two very different
readings.

And the more I think about it the more it seems like the second reading is
the best.

ransom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx