Re: Chance

COLIN WIGHT wrote:

>Cage is involved in is a much less structured free form sort of
>composition, and it is in this sense more akin to a Californian notion of
>"letting it all hang out". I do this on holiday, it's not a pretty sight,
>but what the hell.

I know Cage mainly from hearing his music with Merce Cunningham dances.
Watching Cunningham you see nothing but complexity and discipline, a very
austere beauty. I love it. It has nothing to do with "letting it all hang
out." What this says about Cage, I'm not sure.

Cunningham supposedly uses "chance" too, but it's said that he's sometimes
selective about taking the dice's advice.

Doug

Folow-ups
  • Re: Chance
    • From: malgosia askanas