Re: quick question

Hi Rosemary: Let me address the second part of your question, whether
counter-memory is being used contemporarily independent of his spin on the
word. The quick answer is yes. The phrase counter-memory is used but not
as you would expect, as some resistance strategy, to combat memories
imposed by some dominant structure. Instead, when I hear folks use
counter-memory they tend to be referring to the multiplicity of memories
or of constructions that individuals are able to imagine, that vie for
position with other memories and the influence of other memorial
touchstones. Memory becomes another word to be used like "discourse," we
are always multiply interpellated by claims to memory, and we ourselves
engage in memory work to maintain our identities.

I'm currently working on a project, however, that seeks to develop or at
least problematize a counter-mnemonic practice. That is, I wish to explore
how rhetorically we "do" the work of memory and by extension the
rhetorical resources we have at our disposal to challenge the political
mediation of memory. While I have been calling this a counter-mnemonic
practice, I am not quite sure that I will keep the label, nor use
counter-memory, since to speak of memory is to always implicate those
memories that we erase, forget, or select out, and those which always vie
for our attention. Anyway, there are quite a few neat works on public
memory out there, most recently, look at John R. Gillis' "Commemorations"
Princeton Univ. Press, 1994, and at John Bodnar, "Remaking America: Public
Memory, Commemoration, and Patriotism in the 20th Century" Princeton
University Press, 1992 (Both John's and from Princeton!! uh oh!). I have a
brief bibliography on public memory (about 40 items or so) that I can send
your way or post somewhere for others who are interested.

Would like to know more about your interest in memory, or any others in
the list.

Best Regards,

N. Cordova
cordova@xxxxxxxxxxx