Re: Geneology...

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Ammar wrote:

> Hello!
> "Geneology is history in the form of a concerted
> carnival"(Nietzche,Geneology,History).Could someone elaborate on that?
> AMMAR.

Ammar,

I think F's comment comes from the view that the purpose of historical
scholarship is not so much to find out what happened or to extract the
right kind of story from history, but rather to treat it as a sort of
make-up and costume room for the needs of the moment. In a carnival,
people wear masks. F makes clear that genealogy approaches history from a
definite perspective and with particular needs in mind.

--John