Re: Powers and not-powers

Alan C. Hudson wrote:

> However, maybe it's the way she puts it. Her critique might better be put,
> not that Foucault doesn't differentiate forms of power, but that,
> everything is power and so nothing is not power.

Alan

I still think that this objection is a problem of interpretation.
Foucault explicitly states (please don't make me go and look it up),
that it's not that power is everything so much that power comes from
everywhere.

Does this help or confuse?

Also, like John, I don't find it unusual that people have difficulties
in coming to grips with Foucault. My own personal experience was not of
coming across a really simple exposition that clarified it all, or of
being such an incredible genius as to have understood it all first
time. What I found was that it was after a very lengthy process of
reading F. and commentaries on him, digesting, applying and reflecting,
that I came to what I think is a reasonable grasp of what he is about.
I'd be interested to know if other people's experiences differed.

Best wishes

Murray

=================================

Murray K. Simpson,