Experiences with Foucault

Murray:

Your experiences with coming to terms with Foucault, mirrors mine almost to
a "t". My interest in Foucault lies in his later work on Governmentality
and techniques of the self, and what, if any, heuristic benefit does this
have for thinking about colonial and post-colonial rationality and truth;
and the relations this has with practices, tactics and techniques of power.
What I have found is that it is very hard to get a handle on what it is he
is saying. The difficulty I have is that in one place F. will put forth his
ideas for coming to terms with a complex reality only to jetison this, and
shift his thinking in another (i.e. from D&P, to HS vol.1, to vol.2).
Another difficulty stems from the density of his work. I have read
Foucault's 20 pg. lecture on governmentality over and over, and every time
I read it I get something new out of it!

So how is that we can come to terms with Foucault, and (try) to come to an
understand of his dense and shifting discourse? It is my opinion that
discussion lists such as these are a fruitful opportunity for individuals
who are interested in Foucualt, but who haven't quite got a handle on it
yet (as well as those who have spent alot of time with his work and do have
a good understanding of the work), to ask questions, receive feedback, or,
observe the discussions going on. Secondary literature is also beneficial,
as are Foucault's interviews and lectures. However, nothing compares to
"getting into" the literature, reflecting on it, trying it out, and
experimenting. If more people would take the time to understand, to really
understand what he is trying to say, I think that there would be less
"bashing" of his ideas and more sympathetic understanding. We don't have to
agree with all of what F. says, but there may be a concept, an analytics,
or a quote which may be beneficial to your work.

As far as my understanding of Foucault goes, I have learned alot,
questioned alot, got frustrated alot, but in the end my understanding of a
complex historical world is better for the effort.

All the best,

Bryan Hogeveen
hogeveen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Manitoba