Re: Heidegger and Foucault

At 03:34 AM 8/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>I believe part of the answer lies in Focault's notion of power. I won't
>explain Foucault's idea of power it in detail since I've never posted to
>this list before so I don't know what kinda of rules you guys have
>established (even considering Foucault's ideas and their implications for
>that last statement). But..

It is interesting that Foucault and Heidegger perserve the metaphor
"truth," as opposed to Nietzsche who completely rejects it. Foucault's
notion of power seems to comport with Heidegger in that it does not belong
to a single agent. Power, like being, is everywhere. However, as we know,
the whole notion of power also gets in the way of Heidegger's disclosure of
being.

In terms of Heidegger's influence on the early Foucault, I suggest _Dream
and Existence_ edited by Keith Hoeller, which includes Foucault's essay
"Dream, Imagination and Existence," and _Mental Illness and Psychology_ by
Foucault. Both are from Foucault's early work in what might be loosely
called phenomenological or existential psychology. The lasting influence
on Foucault is more complicated, but is addressed in both the introductions
of these books.