Re: more space

Well Becky, I think Foucault would agree that 'art' connot be
'truly' subversive. As I've read him, he would argue that any art, text,
discourse, narrative, etc. is both subversive and oppressive, it includes
and excludes symmultenously. What is included in the 'art' sets up limits
and it is those limits which should be examined. Whether the art is good
or bad is a value judgement by the interpretors.
I believe that the 'codes' of art which you speak about are borders
that through repetitions have confined an identity that attempts to be
wholesome. Literature, Cinema, music, etc. are reference points to
particular modes for producing meaning and although we may decide to call
them separate disciplines, their interconnections are obvious.
Well, it is late. I just felt like typing a few words and hoping
that my articulations spark up some polylogues!

pablo from 'The Franciscan Circle'