Re: undergrad texts

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Clare O'Farrell wrote:

> Eric Angel mentions that it was Discipline and Punish and The History of
> Sexuality that first got him interested in Foucault. For me it was two
> texts - the first 'The Situation of Cuvier in the history of biology'
> followed by _The Archaeology_ I thought the Archaeology was a wonderful
> book - it was certainly the one that got me thoroughly hooked on Foucault.

Speaking of which: a while ago, I read a book (can't remember which;
maybe Megill, but I don't think so) which claimed that AK must be
read as a parody of Descartes's _Discourse on Method_: that if you read
it straight, you just don't get it. Personally, I don't much see the
connection (and anyway I'm inclined to agree with Rorty that AK is
Foucault's "least successful book"). Comments?

Matthew

"There is but one truly important philosophical problem,
and that is suicide." (Albert Camus, _The Myth of Sisyphus_)
Matthew A. King - Department of Philosophy - McMaster University