Re: A History of Sexuality

Hi Joanna,

I know everyone has moved on a bit by now but I'd just like to say i agree with
your point about the title's translation. I had a similar problem with
'Discipline and Punish'. Coming from a literature background we were taught that
the term 'histoire' was extremely ambiguous - meaning both history and
(fictional) narrative. I think this mixture is what F may have wanted to convey.
And certainly I agree that using 'History' implies a chronological scientific
study of sexuality's progression through the ages.

Better let the others get on with more important stuff....!

Rebekah Bale
University of Hong Kong