Re: Materialism/Idealism...

What distinguishes Foucault from Marx, Freud and Marcuse -- probably not
Weber -- is the absence of anything that too readily smells of
eschatology. I can ask what soul discourse does to bodies without
assuming anything about the end of history. I am not sure why the idea
of souls as a special, constructive sort of restraint on bodies is
implicit in the folks you mention anyway. I suppose "we knew it all
along" is a possibility, but forgive my denseness in missing it. Yoshie