Re: "Cultivation of resistances and subjugated knowledges"

Matthew King is right to foreground the terms "cultivate" and "best."
Both are problematic. Were I submitting an article for review, I may
have avoided them. Nevertheless, some comments are perhaps in order.

"Cultivation" is subjugation. I make the garden, the Bonsai tree, or
whatever an object of power; though there is within these gardens
resistances that are not cultivated by me. Since the original post was
about the illusion and possibility of freedom; perhaps I need to vary my
metaphor. Within a garden, I can leave room for all sorts of unplanned
growths -- or I can manage the garden to be as surprise free as
possible. I do not know which garden is "best" to at least recognize
that they are different.

There is another organic metaphor that may work better than
"cultivation" when trying to talk about freedom. Wilderness is precisely
uncultivated, and it is left (relatively) free from our interference.
Allowing subjugated knowledges and practices freedom involves finding
ways to leave them alone. I also think William Connolly's attempt to
exploit Deleuze and Guattari's distinction between "arboreal" and
"rhizomatic" growth is promising. The "best" gardener may just let the
stuff spread randomly.

"Best" is a perfectly awful word to use in this thread. I hereby retract
it, and promise to seek ritual self flagellation at the nearest leather
bar. While avoiding superlatives, I would not avoid comparatives. Best,
no; better, yes.

The original post asked if we can analyze the illusory character of
market freedom. The answer is: Not if it is the midnight in which all
cows are black. We need (without necessarily being able to produce) some
way to distinguish more or less free situations. If ALL we can say is
power produces resistance, and resistance produces new subordinations --
we might as well have a drink and stop worrying about the critique of
economic regimes and comparative political economy. Of course we can
resist -- but that does not sound like much fun.

Foucault, in the later stages of his writing, was desperately trying to
make a positive contribution to ethical and political discourse. Maybe
that was a dead end, but thinking about what we might want to mean by
freedom is a good place to begin.