RE: The power of one

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Mark Jensen wrote:

> I believe that there is
> some sort of initiation of the dsiciplinary machinery each time a subject is
> introduced to the 'machinery.' For example (and I do like practical
> examples), when a prisoner is introduced into the prison, or a student into
> a classroom, or an initiate into a monestary, there has to be some sort of
> reaquaintance with 'sovereign power' (see below here), a reminder, even
> though the subject has internalized much of the disciplinary mechnaisms,
> e.g. surveillance. This reaquaintance would not have to be something as
> explicit as "Do this and I will punish you." It exists within the syllbus of
> the course you are teaching, it exists in the presence of the gun on the
> guard's waist as the prisoner walks in the prison door, etc.

Two things come to mind here: first, God and Judaeo-Christian morality.
For a long time, one entered into the world and had the guard tower, so to
speak, pointed out to one: "Sin, and God shall smite thee." In that
case, there never was anyone in the guard tower (apologies to theists:),
and by now most people either assume that there is no guard or only think
about the guard, in a very ~UFHHk