Re: Foucault, commodities & power

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, na.devine wrote:

> The agents of Western liberalism, the IMF, the World Bank, etc have
> continued the American ship-captain's campaign. They want to force the
> Tongan govt to accept 'reforms' in exchange for 'assistance'. Their
> package was originally worked out for countries deeply in debt and with
> an impoverished, suffering, population. The conditions of Tonga are
> significantly different. So far they have refused.
>
> The moral of the story is that other ways of thought are possible.

I don't mean to throw cold water, because I like the story, but--the fact
that the IMF etc. want something in exchange for assistance seems to imply
that someone in Tonga is asking for assistance ... which leads me to
wonder just how different Tongan ways of thought really are.

Matthew

----Matthew A. King------Department of Philosophy------McMaster University----
"The border is often narrow between a permanent temptation to commit
suicide and the birth of a certain form of political consciousness."