going the distance?

i, too, was quite bewildered by this "women going the distance"
question, and could find no context in which to help me understand it,
much less--as f. might say--what motivated its deployment. i deleted it
and figured the answers would be forthcoming, but all that's come forth
since is a whole lot of rancorous and sarcastic fallout.

going the distance?
markisha

>From: "Sue Morris" <zantique@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: response to "power and chat rooms"
>Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 06:46:59 +1000
>
>erm - forgive my naivety - but what exactly is the problem we women
>supposedly have in "going the distance" in mail lists such as this one?
>
>I would very much like to read the archives on this topic -
>iqbal suggested "cd pub/pubs/listservs/spoon/foucault.archive"
>but can anyone please give me the full url?
>(I was given the subscribing info for this list by a friend so do not
know
>the webpage address from which it originated - I too have created and
>uploaded webpages in the past but it hasn't thus far improved my
psychic
>abilities...)
>
>cheers
>
>sue

>>> Whom are you going to slam next - homosexuals, Asians, Catholics?
>>
>>*koff* Well, there's a perfect example of one of the most obvious
elements
>>of politics in electronic "socialities": if you don't know someone,
read
>>with the least charity possible.
>>
>>> And where are the archives, anyway?
>>
>>I'd've thought that someone who advertises their own webpage in their
>>posts wouldn't have too much trouble finding them. (See, I'm doing it
>>too!;)
>>
>>> By the way, if anyone is curious, below is the question I initially
>>> asked which na.devine felt so compelled to not answer.
>>>
>>> "Any suggested readings/authors on power via language-use in the
>>> performances of genders in chat room socialities would be
tremendously
>>> appreciated."
>>
>>I dunno, I thought Nesta's answer was pretty much to the point.
>>
>>Here's another odd thing about e-list politics: when someone asks a
>>question and no one gives an answer or a straight answer, the asker
often
>>reacts like s/he's being deliberately snubbed--as if someone out there
>>must know the answer and they're just not giving it up. Well,
actually
>>that fits right in with reading with the least charity possible....
>>
>>Matthew
>>
>>----Matthew A. King------Department of Philosophy------McMaster
>University----
>> "The border is often narrow between a permanent temptation to
commit
>> suicide and the birth of a certain form of political
consciousness."