Re: Capitalist power is not possessed.

> Joanna L. Crosby wrote:
>
> >I am looking at the way people like Judith Butler have used Foucaultian
> >critique to pursue questions of subjectification and the political
> >circumstances that arise. I don't know that this line of inquiry is
> >possible without
> >Marx, or the post-marxist work of the Frankfurt School, (Adorno & Habermas
> >in particular), but I don't think that I can be reduced to Marx or
> >exhausted through a Marxian vocabulary.
>
> No, but who expected it would be? Butler can be very compelling on subject
> formation, but her complete blindness to class and economic power in
> subject formation; money forms large chunks of us, no?
>
> Doug

I might well be guilty of misreading Butler, but the point I took
from Bodies that Matter regarding subjectifcation is that any attempt
to valorize a given factor in the process of subjectifcation smacks
of another attempt at essentialization. In that light, "blindness to
class and economic power" seems a rather unfair criticism, as she in
fact seems acutely aware of the multiplicities of factors which come
into play during/within the performative construction of the subject
(perhaps akin to Foucault's description of power as being
"polyhedral," or something to that effect), so that in saying "money
forms large chunks of us," the statement is not entirely incorrect,
but rather economic status is but one structure which affects the
becoming-subject.

I'll try to find something to support my rather gut-level reaction
this evening/tomorrow.

john hartmann

John Hartmann
hartmajr@xxxxxxxx

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1575
I'm wishing you a-well...mind at peace within yourself...
Covers up, I cast you off...I'll be watching as you breathe....
I'd lie still, you move, I'd send you off around the bend...

I hold your head deep in my arms...my fingertips they close your eyes...
Off you dream, my little child...there's a sun around the bend...
There's a sun around the bend...

All the evenings close like this...all these moments that I've missed...
Please forgive, won't you, dear?
Please forgive and let me share with you around the bend...

You're an angel when you sleep...
How I want your soul to keep of and all around the bend...
"Around the Bend," Pearl Jam