Re: Zero-tolerance policing

One of the reasons for an increase in the incidents of youth delinquency is
the power relations which operate in relation to them. Rebellion comes from
alienation: it is an alternative method of control ie through grafitti art,
crime, music etc. One reason why this rebellion is so visual is the fact
that young people have little control over political/educational/vocational
etc decision-making processes. To take a Marxist angle, young people are
alienated. Rebellion is a means of asserting that control and power
categorizes that alternative model of control as criminal as a means of
silencing it or disarming it.

I'm not saying that increasing youth participation nis the answer but it
certainly is an important consideration.
DS