Re: Foucault and the body

At 03:20 PM 8/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>You can find a copy of I&ISA in :
>
>=ABA Critical and Cultural Theory Reader=BB, McGowan and Easthope eds., U=
of
>Toronto Press
>
>and, I think in
>
>=ABMapping Ideology=BB, Zizek ed., Verso
>

>Christine Rolland
>PhD candidate in communication studies
>University of Montreal

I believe it is also re-collected in LA's *essays in ideology* or something
like that, a Verso book I believe. *For Marx* also has a couple essays on
ideology, and a useful glossary to boot. Check out the entry on
"problematic" esp, for a compare/contrast b/w Althusser and Foucault. I
would say the two of them are closest in realtion to that concept and to a
notion of discourse/knowledge, or more generally in the way in which
Althusser re-reads Marx and his critique of classical political economy, in
terms of M's "epistemological break" (actually G. Canguileheim's (sp?)
concept within the history of science) and what A. calls M's "immense
theoretical revolution." The reading of Marx can be found in *For Marx*
of course, but is more fully elaborated in his and Balibar's *Reading
Capital*, recently re-released by Verso again. =20

Finally, Ernesto Laclau has a recent piece on ideology-critique under
post-structuralism, called I think, *The Return of Ideology*. Cant
remember the cite, but it is on the web, and may be avaliable (if your
institution is subscribed) via the Muse/JHU project of John Hopkins. The
online journal is called *Theory and Event*. =20

Any of these sources would productively frame the
Foucault/Althusser-ideology debates... showing us that the
"false-consciousness" model which F rightly dismisses is, nonetheless, a
straw-man in so far as it is made to stand for *all* concepts and methods
of ideology-critique. Althusser and Zizek, for two, would argue against
Foucault in his claim that all notions of ideology are framed in relation
to a True/False proposition.... becuase from an even lossely Lacanian point
of view, ideology is "eternal," if not the "human condition" itself.

Best,

Daniel

=20
Daniel Vukovich