Re: concierge tells it all

they're not really Nietzschean at all - that is, in a strong sense (though
they're more than aware of the man's existence) - but I still think the
Durant's _Story of Civilization_ (11 vols) is magical. If for nothing else
but the incredible labour that was put into it, and the wonderful prefaces
about how we might write about and think about history. At least here - if
there aren't rhizomes and metals - there are real people.
Also, of course, there is Braudel, Bloch and the 'Annals' (again not
Nietzschean, or Spenglerian, but just good). William H. McNeill is also
useful, especially _The Pursuit of Power_ and _Plagues and Peoples_.

just a few suggestions ..
>hi i was wondering if any of you could recommend me some really really
>(well maybe slightly nietschean or even spenglerian) good 'history' works
>or historians ? any epoch/age would be fine .

Ian Robert Douglas,
Associate Lecturer & Fulbright Fellow,
Watson Institute of International Studies,
Brown University, Box 1831,
130 Hope Street,
Providence, RI 02912

tel: 401 863-2420
fax: 401 863-2192

"Foucault's death was something terrible, not only
because Foucault died, but because France lost a very
important presence who caused imbeciles to hesitate to
speak out, knowing that Foucault was there to respond."

- Gilles Deleuze, 1985