disappeared

Does anyone have any thoughts on Pinochet? There is an interesting
response from Foucault in _Remarks on Marx_ where he states, "It seems to
me that the idea of justice in itself is an idea which in effect has been
invented and put to work in different types of societies as an instrument
of a certain political and economic power or as a weapon against that power
.. One can't .. put these notions forward to justify a fight which should
.. overthrow the very fundaments of our society."
I'm quoting out of context, of course, but I wonder what Foucault might
have said about Pinochet. Or better still--for we shouldn't feel any need
to parrot-fashion attempt to use the words he might use--I wonder what
people who, like myself, have been deeply influenced by his force of
thinking and intervention think about this immediate issue.

best wishes/sincerely,

Ian Robert Douglas,
Watson Institute of International Studies,
Brown University, Box 1831,
130 Hope Street,
Providence, RI 02912

tel: 401 863-2420
fax: 401 863-2192

"Above all, we must keep firmly in mind what
it means to be a human being." - Kierkegaard