Re: Foucault and Functionalism

DLSMITH wrote:

> Grettings all:
>
> I am interested in reading anything that offers a
> comparison of Foucault's analytic orientation (esp. in AK
> and DP) and functionalist social theories (e.g., Parsons
> and Merton).

Habermas, of course, but also Axel Honneth and other German
[neo]"critical theory" types, often discuss Foucault in terms of
"systems theory," which is (in this context) the German equivalent of
Parsonian structural-functionalism. Thus, see chapter 6 of Honneth's
book THE CRITIQUE OF POWER: REFLECTIVE STAGES IN A CRITICAL THEORY OF
SOCIETY (MIT Press 1991). Maybe you have already read it.

More generally, Thomas McCarthy has written various essays that relate
Foucault to mid-to-late 20th century American sociologists, such as
Garfinkel and others, but perhaps not to Merton or Parsons. I have no
references handy, but these too might be relevant in some way.

Steve D.