re: commentary is a minstral show

And yes, once we have accepted that change is inevitable, a society
which can adapt to the new social facts is better off than one which
cannot (almost by definition).

>From owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Jan 11 09:24:18 1999
>From: henry sholar <hwsholar@xxxxxxxx>
>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: re: commentary is a minstral show
>Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:38:18 -0500
>Sender: owner-foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>Well, I don't think a community is "defined by shared beliefs."
>I think a community is of a group which has shared cultural practices,
>some of which may be "beliefs" but most are practical skills that
>enable shared coping and caring (of the environment & of others) in the
>community. Most are unarticulated, even transparent to the members of
>the community.
>
>To doubt, or even to challenge cultural practices most often does not
>"drain" the shared life of the community. Most often they are ignored.
>Sometimes they are accepted and amalgamated-- interpreted by the
>culture. Works of art, political movements, and even consumer products
>are simple ways that communities embrace new interps, ways they change.
>
>These challenges (or simple cultural re-interpretations) reveal also
>that communities are not composed of fixed frameworks like grammatical
>rules. The stability of communities is a much looser, intuited
>membership. Perhaps the ability to be flexible is one way of measuring
>the health of a community, ie, those that are open and flexible are
>much healthier than those which call for rigid and alledgedly
>unalterable cultural practices.
>
>is this the kind of "commentary" you're looking for?
>kindest regards,
>henry sholar
>

>On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:38:54 -0800 (PST) Tony Roberts
><fdrtikol@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Commentary works to drain the shared life of some community of
meaning
>> and reality. This community is defined by shared beliefs which are
>> deeper than assumptions in that they "go without saying" for everyone
>> in the community. To doubt this belief is precisely to become
>> alienated from this community, is to stop constructing ones immediate
>> lived experience exclusivly within the limits of this communitys
>> perspective. Alienation from a community is finally an ability to see
>> the limits of that communitys' perspective. These beliefs which go
>> without saying are grammar rules which structure a shared space of
>> experience where many important meanings are fixed and stabilized.
>> Commentary works to unfix and destabilize this common sense or
>> conventional wisdom which "everybody knows" in the community by
>> bringing these contexting beliefs into question ,by telling an
>> alternative story about what's going on. This story claims to be the
>> "real truth" behind the delusion the poor benighted souls of the
>> community live, in their ignorance, as truth. Imagine a modern day
>> minstral show put on by David Duke and Company. Imagine it filmed and
>> distributed through Dukes' website. This minstral show would bring
> [...]
Do not ask me who I am and do not ask me to remain the same: leave it to
our bureaucrats and our police to see that our papers are in order."
Michel Foucault