sexual ethics

------=_NextPart_000_0153_01BE5B5F.2AA91F60

Okay, okay! I'll post something!

I wonder if anyone out there can recommend some reading for me. I'm =
based in the UK reading for a PhD, and I'm looking at Foucault's work on =
sexual ethics. I shall be using it to look at present day 'self-help' =
texts (eg Men are From Mars etc) I want to see what kind of ethics =
these books promote, and what kind of subject they are aiming to =
produce. I want to try to avoid a simplistic dismissal of them as being =
either purely subjugating discourses or symptomatic of the 'Californian =
cult of the self' about which Foucault was so sniffy. I also want to =
avoid an uncritical celebration of their liberatory potential, as =
proposed by some other scholars - I shall mention no names!!

It seems to me that these texts must tell us something our culture =
because they are so popular and sell in such huge numbers - and here in =
the UK they have, in many instances, entered into common parlance (I =
expect it's the same elsewhere).

Can anyone suggest either:
a.. any specific sections of Foucault's work I should look at =
(besides the History of Sex trilogy), or
b.. any particularly interesting/popular self-help books (especially =
those about relationships), or
c.. the work of any other theorists/scholars which might be =
relevant?

I would really appreciate any suggerstions, advice or comments.
Thanks for helping.

Rebecca.