Re: Bad Writing?

Interesting how my lighthearted reference to the bad writing awards has led
to complaints about me endorsing 'Butler bashing', and exercising
domination by telling her to eat her heart out (thankfully the vegetarians
haven't contacted me about this one, and neither have the advocates for
self-injurers - yet!). I was actually being casually facetious about
Foucault's incomprehenisbility, and asking for help.

I apologize for not giving the reference - obviously essential to answering
my query. The quote comes from pg. 139 of 'Archaeology', Routlege edition,
Part IV, Chapter 1, 5th page.

"Archaeology does not seek to rediscover the continuous, insensible
transition that relates discourses, on a gentle slope, to what precedes
them, surrounds them, or follows them. It does not await the
moment when, on the basis of what they were not yet, they became
what they are;
nor the moment when, the solidity of their figure crumbling away, they
will gradually lose their identity." (Foucault, 1972, p139)

By the way, I have no views whatever on Butler or Bhabha - I have never
read their work apart from said obscure sentence ("since you are
criticizing Foucault's style, tell them you hate gay male academics as
well", says my friend, barely able to contain his laughter).

Colin Holmes,
Western Sydney