Re: Foucault and Heidegger

Stuart Elden <Stuart.Elden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't agree with Chiang's suggestion that "Foucault sometimes did fall
into a Heideggerian circle, but he always made a conscious effort to break
away". It's much more complicated than that, and is tied up in the debates
about the role of Heidegger in French thought. Heidegger's Letter on
Humanism (1947) allowed Foucault, Althusser, etc. etc. to break from the
humanist, existentialist interpretation of Heidegger by Sartre, freeing
them up to appropriate Heidegger in a number of ways.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm not familiar with the debates
that you mention here. Thanks.

Daniel