Re: Trivia: best-selling book?

>With apologies for the utterly trivial nature of the question, but anyway:
>does anyone know what Foucault's best-selling book in English (apart from
>the recent selections from Dits et Ecrits) is at the moment? I would've
>sworn it was HS1, but I have a friend in psychology who says that
>Power/Knowledge is the one she sees everywhere.

I would think that it is HS1. It is the easiest to read and many of the classes I've
had in graduate school assign it. Most people I know who've read any of Foucault
have read that. I don't know many people who own Power/Knowledge. But who knows
Displine and Punish could also be a hot item.

>Well, maybe not so trivial--it's always interesting to know which way the
>Foucault barometer is swinging (as we all know, everyone in academia
>loves Foucault, except for those who hate him, which is also everyone)....

I would also think that HS1 is the most sited work for academia, especially in
history and gender studies. Also since his concept of power is explained there. Most
people I know prefer D&P and think that it is his best work.

Sean
***
Sean Guillory
guillory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Primordial Soup Kitchen Zine Mailorder
http://pw2.netcom.com/~guillory/catalog.html
PO Box 1312
Claremont, CA 91711-1312
"But if the designing of the future and the proclamation of the ready-made solutions
for all times is not our affair, then we realize all the more clearly what we have to
accomplish in the present--I am speaking of a ruthless criticism of everything
existing, ruthless in two senses: The criticism must not be afraid of its own
conclusions, nor of conflict with the powers that be." -- K. Marx