query (fwd)

I wonder if someone could help me out of this pickle. i have lost the
citation to this note that i took from a reading of Foucault--i thought it
was from _Genealogy_, but i have re-read the darn thing 3 times and still
can't find the passage. The passage is where Foucault is writing about
history, and makes the point that history is meaningless for him "if one
means by that writing a history of the past in terms of the present."
Instead he argues that history has meaning only "if one means writing the
history of the present."
I'll be very grateful for help with this.
Thanks:-)
Shirley Lim <slim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>