Re: Re[2]: Structural Marxism

Joe

A quick question, as I am rushed for time... How does Heidegger fit into
this whole picture for you? I wonder if much of what you say could be
explained by the Letter on Humanism - central to both Foucault and Althusser
in their break from earlier French understandings of Heidegger, humanism,
Sartre and Marxism?

I am working on a book chapter at the moment entitled 'Genealogy as
Historical Ontology' which develops some of the ideas in my PhD - this tries
to suggest that Heidegger's reading of Nietzsche is central to what Foucault
is doing in his work (even before the labelling of it as genealogy) and that
understanding genealogy as historical ontology rather than [implicitly] as
ontic history/historical sociology may be a more profitable way of
appropriating Foucault's work.

Best

Stuart