Re: Foucault & Derrida

I'm not sure what Foucault would say about Specters. But I think what
is more telling is the way a number of critics attack that text, insofar
as their attack parallels Derrida's attacks on Foucault. That is to
say, they argue that while Derrida can certainly point to hauntaulogy as
an excess that Marx papers over through his focus on ontology, and while
he can also tie hauntaulogy to a certain conception of the promise, the
always-to-come, as an emancipatory moment which is structurally
inescapable, he cannot tie this to any particular emancipatory program,
i.e., to the ideal of democracy he puts forward. What these critics say
is that Derridean deconstruction disables such a commitment -- it
amounts to Derrida's attempt to ground an ethic, which deconstruction
itself shows cannot be done. I can't think of any names of these
critics at the moment, other than Ernesto Laclau. His review of
Specters can be found in Emancipation(s) (Verso, published around
1997). I think Kate Soper wrote something similar for a symposium on
Specters which was published in Radical Philosophy.

Now, to take Derrida's side on this, saying that deconstruction does not
allow you to put forward any sort of positive ethic, beyond some sort of
abstract structural promise, requires a fairly selective reading of
Derrida's corpus. But the point is that this is something like the way
Derrida himself attacked Foucault. The critics say that hauntaulogy can
only work if it remains at a sort of abstract level, and so with limited
political potential.

You can, I suppose, use this to suggest that the later Derrida does in
fact move closer to Foucault. That, at least, is what some people say,
though I can't say I've kept up with the recent work other than
Specters.

Does that help?

Nathan
n.e.widder@xxxxxxxxx