RE: Foucault & Marcuse?

Matthew,

please excuse me for my written English.. is not my
natural language but I will do my best to answer to
you.

Yes, I believe that Foucault attacks implicitly
Marcuse in HS1 on
the "We the Victorians" chapter and in the "Incitation to the
speeches" chapter, when he critics the
idea about we were being free of centuries of crescent
repression and when he attacks the idea about the
relationship between power, knowledge, sexuality and
being settled by repression.

Resuming, I believe that the "repressive hypothesis"
is referred to Marcuse and others and when Foucault
speaks about the "speaker benefits" speaks about
himself too.

I also think that some of his implicit critiques are
unfair, due to there is too much of Marcuse in
Foucault (in this way it could be interesting thinking
on the "repressive desublimation" concept , beyond the
usage of the repression as a word). In fact, What's an
author?

Please don't hesitate on asking me on any doubth you
have..

Yours sincerely,

Susana Murillo

Universidad de Buenos Aires"