RE: biopower: Agamben/Foucault.

>But I think Aristotle put his finger on it: "Man is a political animal."
>-michal

And that's why i think Heidegger is useful. This is a very tendentious
translation.

The _anthropos_ is a _zoon politikon_.

Anthropos is human rather than 'man' (minor point); _zoon_ is from _zoe_ and
'animal' is only part of the issue, it's more something with a life force, a
being; _politikon_ derives from _polis_ which needs to be thought in the
context of what this meant for the Greeks, not from modern notions of the
state (two major points). For the second point see Krell and Heidegger (as
cited last post); for the final one see particularly Heidegger, Hoelderlin's
Hymn 'The Ister' (Indiana 1996).

The human is an entity whose nature is to live in the polis...?

And therefore bios would take life in a modern sense of the political,
rather than a Greek?

I cover some of these points in the new issue of Political Geography (Vol 19
No 4)

Stuart