Re: Truth and Circularity

In a message dated 05/20/2000 10:15:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bday@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< And the postmodern critique that reason,
unable to prove its own validity without entering a reductio ad absurdem
which - by its own rules - disproves itself as invalid.

Although the modernist version of this criticism is certainly vacuous, the
postmodern critique is devastating, and it seems clear to me that most
postmodernism has to begin from it. >>

in the spirit of my earlier questions, I ask the following: what does
postmodernism presume? is it fair to say that it is just as arbitrary as
modernism? if postmodern critique shows that reason is invalid, then isn't
the postmodern criticism, which results from reason, equally as vacuous? if
not, why not?

jb