Re: Can Postmodernism Survive?

In a message dated 05/21/2000 2:28:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ransomjsw@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Thus, from the fact that the statement 'there is no truth' contradicts the
premise it puts forth, it by no means follows that the statement in question
has no truth value.

I don't think the example of "so near, yet so far away" has much in common
with
the contradiction implicit in "there is no truth." the irony implicit in the
former (that one can be close to one's goal and still have no chance of
attaining it) is not present in the latter. personally, I think that truth
exists -- after all, I'm a poet -- in much the same way that the Real exists,
and while it may be true that we can generally know either within the context
of a particular system of belief, belief systems are not the only way in
which one makes contact with truth, or the real.

joe brennan....